Anne Smith, RN, CPC, CCS-P, CPMA, CPC-I, CEMC, CPEDC, is the Principal and CEO of Fredrikson Healthcare Consulting, Ltd. Anne has over 30 years of experience in the health care industry, including physician practices, integrated health systems, and a major health plan. She has worked at Fredrikson since 2001, assisting physician practices of all sizes with their coding and documentation. She spent several years in a management role with a multi-specialty group practice, overseeing the coding of professional services and the posting of charges and payments for 120 providers. Anne’s responsibilities included the development and delivery of all physician coding education and compliance reviews, the establishment of an RBRVS-based fee schedule, and the management of form design and review. She also has third-party payer experience as supervisor of coding and claims operations staff for a major health plan.
Anne is certified in professional coding by both the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC). She is an AHIMA-Approved ICD-10-CM Trainer, an AAPC-Approved Instructor (CPC-I) for the Professional Medical Coding Curriculum (PMCC), and has also received specialty certification from AAPC as a professional medical auditor (CPMA), an E/M auditor (CEMC) and for pediatric coding (CPEDC). She has served on the Advisory Board for the Allied Health department at Rasmussen College and on the HCPCS Committee of Minnesota, where she participated in the annual update of the state HCPCS manual. Anne has an in-depth knowledge of evaluation and management coding guidelines and extensive experience with operative coding.
Anne is a graduate of Saint Marys School of Nursing in Rochester, Minnesota, and is licensed as a registered nurse. Her clinical experience includes pediatric and adult nursing in clinics, hospitals, and skilled nursing facilities.
Selected Publications & Presentations
- St. Paul Chapter AAPC ICD-10 Training: Change is in the Air
- “Counting Down to ICD-10: Practical Tips for Compliance,” Fredrikson & Byron Health Law Webinar Series
- The Transition to ICD-10: Steps You Should Take NOW to Help Your Organization Prepare
- Wisconsin Medical Society Midwest Coding and Practice Management Symposium: Understanding Shared Services
- Wisconsin Medical Society Midwest Coding and Practice Management Symposium: Preventing Confusion with Preventive Medicine
- Minnesota Physician: “Genie in a bottle, or Pandora’s box? EHR lessons learned”
- Minnesota Physician: “Holding the (Bottom) Line”
- “Staying in Tune With Your Providers’ Coding,” Fredrikson & Byron Health Law Webinar Series
- “A New Twist to Coding and Compliance Efforts: The Provider Ranking Assessment Summary”